How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I remrried and moved into my new wife's home. I put my own

This answer was rated:

I remrried and moved into my new wife's home. I put my own flat to rent with letting agents in July 2015. However no tenant was found until December 2015.
Am I allowed to claim property costs incurred between July and December as a deduction against rental income?
These costs include Council tax, ground rent d

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Take a look here for information on pre-letting expenditure.

You can claim for some expenditure in advance of letting a property for the first time but not large scale capital expenditure which enhances the value of the property. So, costs incurred to make the property fit to let (repairs and maintenance) would normally be deductible. I don't think ground rent and council tax are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the letting as you would have had to pay them in any event so I would not claim them. The same applies to mortgage interest in my opinion.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you