How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14192
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have retired and after some eight months was asked to work

This answer was rated:

I have retired and after some eight months was asked to work for same company on self employed basis i get state pension and a small monthly pension which brings me to my alloted tax allowance for the year. I am currently earning about 900 per month but have bought a vehicle and pay for fuel and servicing can you advise on my tax commitments please.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Can you advsie why you where re engaged on a self employed basis - were your duties different or the way on which you performed them?

What exactly are your duties and what travel expenses do you incur providing these duties?

I can then advise further



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re-employed as Courier driver for legal documents but new contract came up for N H S to collect samples from surgeries and large practices. This needs van and also insurance and fuel ,i am traveling approx 50 miles aday to do this tha fuel is approx 45 pounds per week, the insurance is high at 1500 per year and maintainance at the moment is around 800 pounds have all payments slips from firm and receipts for work done on van
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


Thanks for your response

But you are still performing the same duties, just your collection and delivery destinations are different -

I must advsie that you should in fact have been re- employed and NOT self employed,a s I doubt you provide these duties to any other company -

So I do need to make you aware of this - that its not a matter of choice whether anyone is self employed or employed - it is a matter of law.

Link here re employment status and its legislation

However - to help you move forward at this time you have two ways from which to choose how you claim travel expenses

1) You claim 45p a mile for the first 10,000 buisiness miles and then 25p a mile thereafter OR

2) You keep a record of all business and private mileage - so you can establish a percentage attributable to business from which you apply this percentage against all the running costs - so fuel, oil, MOT Servicing, Insurance, Road Tax, repairs etc AND you can claim capital allowances on the vans purchase - again based on the percentage attributable to business

Link here re capital allowances and annual investment allowances (which you would claim on the vans purcahse)

Then you claim these against your self employed earnings after each 5th April on a self assessment tax return and this reduces your taxable income

Let me know if I can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you