How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I was born in Argentina but I am now a resident in the UK.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was born in Argentina but I am now a resident in the UK. If my father sends a large sum of money to me, am I liable to pay tax to receive that money? He is not a UK resident, he lives in Argentina.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question.

The recipient of the gift does not pay any tax on the gift received as there is no tax on gifts in the UK. Furthermore, you don't report the gift on your tax return.

You should safeguard yourself and have a statement or declaration from your father to confirm the money is a gift. This would be helpful in the event there was an enquiry from the tax office at a future date. Also this would help you with compliance of money laundering regulations. You may wish to alert your receiving bank of impending transfer of funds into your bank account to comply with money laundering regulations.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. That is very helpful.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes