How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7541
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

It seem from your answer that I gain nothing re Taxation

Customer Question

Hello, It seem from your answer that I gain nothing re Taxation from living in Thailand!
What is the point of filling in Formp85?
HMC&E are aware that I live in Thailand as they have my address here?
Best regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not regarding your property income. The P85 formally notifies the tax authorities of your movement and then changes your residential status. Once classified as non resident you may spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without breaching this status. The fact that your tax office knows you live in Thailand is all very well, but the P85 goes to another branch of HMRC so your own office may or may not be operating tax correctly.