How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14153
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

If I let out my current family home because I am not able to

Customer Question

If I let out my current family home because I am not able to sell it for what I want then purchase the house that I will live in , I know I am liable for the extra 3℅ stamp duty but am I also liable for capital gains tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gail

Thanks or your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Yes you are right you would be liable to the additional 3% stamp duty, and IF yous ell this initial home more than 18 months after moving out, only then would a capital gain consideration arise.

If more than 18 months after moving out, then the time it WAS your main home is taken into account to exempt some of the gain (plus the last 18 months of ownership) plus you get additional exemption for private lettings relief, which allow up to a maximum of £40,000 furtehr tax relief AND you also have the annual exemption allowance which stands at £11,100 this year.

So you will find the capital gain bill (which is any gain left over charged at 18% or 28% or a mix of both depending on your annual income) will be low if you sell within 5 years.

Let me know if I can assist further