How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4770
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Both me and my wife jointly own one residential (where we

Customer Question

Both me and my wife jointly own one residential (where we live with our two kids) and two rented properties. I am considering keeping a lodger in my residential property under Rent a Room Scheme.
Considering I pay tax on rental income from two rented properties, would income from the lodger will be considered tax free (up to threshold) or this will be taxed with other two rented properties?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Your income from the Rent a Room Scheme will still be tax free providing it is within the threshold [7500 pa]. It does not have to be declared on your self assessment tax return.

Here is a link to the Gov UK web site on the subject should you want to read the chapter and verse:

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Keith.BW,Ali
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.