How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a commercial retail property held inside an LLP

Customer Question

I have a commercial retail property held inside an LLP structure (with other properties). The LLP is registered for VAT but this individual property is opted out of VAT. The tenant has vacated this property and it is subject to a claim fo dialpidations of approximately £65000 exc VAT.
I assume that even though my LLP is registered I will be unbale to claim the VAT back on these works for this property, is that the case please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Well, yes and no! What you actually do to avoid VAT on the dilapidations is to have the builder not charge VAT on the works.

Have a look at VAT Notice 742 on this subject.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.