How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4957
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a client that previous rented out a property in

This answer was rated:

I have a client that previous rented out a property in Portugal but sold it during the 2015/16 tax year. He is using some of the proceeds to refurbish his property in London which he will shortly let out once it is completely refurbished.
I would like to know whether he would be entitled to rollover relief as an individual since he will be using some of the proceeds to let out another property and therefore reduce his capital gains tax liability on the sale of the portuguese property?
Kind regards

Hello Paul, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Thank you for asking for me.

Bad news I'm afraid; here is the relevant precedent [source: Gabelle, Expert Tax Support]:

'The First-tier Tribunal – in Elizabeth Moyne Ramsay TC01871 – published on 23 March 2012 – has disallowed rollover relief in relation to a property letting enterprise on the basis there was no ‘business’ being carried on. This is a significant decision. It suggests that what might previously have been identified as sufficiently active management may not, if fact, be enough.'



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Therefore, there is no longer any relief available although he is ploughing the proceeds into a new venture?

No, he will be liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on any gain made less his Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K If he ever lived in the property before letting he may be entitled to Lettings Relief (LR) up to 40K also.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but that wasn't the case for him.

So he just has the AEA of 11.1K to relieve the gain plus any Portuguese Tax deducted under the Double Taxation Convention between the two countries which is allowed as a tax credit against any UK liability.

Thank you for your support.

And your kind bonus.