How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I bought my house in February 1995 for £64,000 and lived in

This answer was rated:

I bought my house in February 1995 for £64,000 and lived in it until February 2014 by which time it's market value was about £205,000. I then have rented the house since. What is the position with regard to capital gains tax, which would become due if I sold even now at a market value of £260,000 or in say two years time at, say, 280,000? If the value increases whilst the house is rented then I have no problem paying tax on that gain but what worries me is being liable for tax on any element of the gain in value in the period when it was my principal residence.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question.

I will do some CGT caluculations and come back to you. It may time a little while, so please bear with me.

many thanks

Thank you for your patience.

Attached are two CGT calculations showing sale in Oct 2016 and Oct 2018.

There will be no CGT payable in either scenario.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes