How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4970
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a divorced man. My ex wife currently receives child

Customer Question

Hi, I am a divorced man. My ex wife currently receives child benefit in addition to the maintenance I pay. As a top rate of tax payer do I need to declare the child benefit on my tax return or is this between my ex wife and the tax man ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As it is your ex who is in receipt of this benefit not you then there is no requirement for you to declare it on your tax return. She might have to declare it on hers, but that is quite a different kettle of fish and not your concern.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.