How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Below is my current Situation and I need some advice. 1)

This answer was rated:

My Name is***** is my current Situation and I need some advice.
1) Originally I am Armenian:
2) Moved to England on April 18 2006
3) Become UK Citizen In August 2012
4) Moved from UK to Singapore September 2012 and work there until 26 of August 2016
5) I ams still leaving in Singapore
5) Now I got Job Offer In London And I am planning to move back to UK
1) Do I need to pay Tax in UK for this Year Salary which I received in Singapore.
2) If it depends on my move date or job start date please let me know when I should move in order to not become liable for UK tax since my start date has some flexibility.
3) Also please confirm that Salary and bonus which I received in previous years in Singapore are not taxable and I will not have problem to move funds to UK.
Thanks For Your Help

Hello Khachik, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you left the UK in 2012 did you complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately, fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt that Department will classify you as non resident. On your return to the UK you should advise HMRC by letter of your return and the year of return will be split into two parts, one resident and the other non resident.

1. No, you were non resident and the Singapore income is not taxable in the UK.

2. It really does not matter as the split year procedure which I explained above will protect you. You will be subject to UK taxation once you are classified as resident on your return.

3. These are not taxable in the UK, but I always advise that it is safer to receive these funds before you leave Singapore whilst you are still classified as non resident. You should warn your UK bank of incoming funds and their source to preclude any money laundering inquiry a large transfer might otherwise attract..

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes I sent P85 for to HMRC in 2012. I think everything is very clear now. Just one final question I will be considered as UK Resident on the day when I arrive to UK or on the day when I started Job. Again thanks a lot for all information.

The day you arrive in the UK. Good job you did the P45, lots of ex pats don't and get themselves into a fearful mess tax wise!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the just Answer site.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for all your help. Of course I will rate you:)
Have a nice and pleasant day.Best Regards,

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.