How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14198
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I left the UK to take up residence abroad on 16th March

This answer was rated:

Hello,I left the UK to take up residence abroad on 16th March 2016. For the tax year ending April 2017, I will have two sources of income:
1) Rent from my UK property
2) Earnings as a management consultant, working outside the UK but paid into a UK based LLP of which I am a partner.
I know I will be liable for UK income tax on 1) but my question is: am I liable for UK income tax on 2)?Thank you.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Yes you will actually remain liable to income source 2 as this arises and is paid in the UK - but if you spend less than 90 days a year in the UK (none of which are to perform any duties as a partner) and also plan to remin living and working outside of the Uk for at least one full tax year (so beyond 05/04/2018) - then you can complete form P85 for HMRC (leaving the UK) and they will issue code NT if you are salaried and allow a tax free consideration if you just receive a share of the partnership LLP profits.

Link here for form P85

You should also note regarding the rental income, that unless you apply for the Non Resident Landlord scheme then your managing agent (if you have one) or your tenants must deduct tax from the gross rents and pay these over to HMRC

The Non Resident landlord scheme allows you to receive gross rents without any deduction of tax

However each year you will need to complete a self assessment tax return to declare the rental income and the partnership LLP income - and then ill in a residency form so HMRC can determine your continuing non residency position.

Let me know if I can assist further



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One follow up question, which I will pay for if necessary.Once I complete form P85, what happens to my rights to use the NHS should I become ill? And where can I find up to date official information about this?Thanks again


We are tax experts and have no involvement with the NHS aspects but I found this for you

Let me know if I can assist furtehr, or, if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided, or click accept



Sam and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you