How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4942
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My daughter owns a flat which she lets out in Edinburgh -

This answer was rated:

My daughter owns a flat which she lets out in Edinburgh - but she works in London and pays rent for the room she lives in there. The rental income from the Edinburgh flat is roughly the same amount as she is paying for her London room. For tax purposes can she offset the rental she pays in London against the income from letting out the Edinburgh flat?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In a word, no! It is a principle of UK taxation that one must live somewhere and usually pay for it unless one is very lucky. There is no way that the costs of her London room can be offset against her rental income for her Scottish residence.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade..

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your excellent support.