How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

NON-UK resident received shares from UK company. I'm

This answer was rated:

NON-UK resident received shares from UK company.
Hi, I'm permanent resident of Bulgaria and received shares from UK company #1. UK Company #2 bought Company #1 and I received payment for my shares in Bulgarian bank account.
Do I need to pay taxes in the UK and how to proceed?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you fo ryour question.

If you are permanent resident of Bulgaria and you have made a capital gain from sale of shares in the UK company, your gain is not chargeable to UK CGT but you would have to report this gain to your loacl tax authorities and pay appropriate taxes on this gain in Bulgaria.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you very much for the prompt reply.As a permanent resident of Bulgaria, the tax authorities there said I must pay tax there, but to verify with the UK if there is a need to report or pay.Can you please share any article number or guide me to where to read, related to UK CGT that excludes non-UK residents from paying tax in the UK. If such text is not phrased like that - any other guide to an articles that exempt me from paying tax in the UK?

Thank you for your reply.

As a permanent no resident you will not report this gain to UK tax authories nor would you pay any tax to UK tax authorities.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes