How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My husband of 23 years owned and ran his own company. I was

This answer was rated:

My husband of 23 years owned and ran his own company. I was on the company payroll, and earned under the taxable threshold for many years as a way of him paying less tax on that portion of his salary. We are now divorced. I am still earning less than £11,000, but realise that I have not been paying a NI contribution and am worried about how this will impact on me in the future. I had a part-time job Feb 2014 - June 2015 and my NI contribution was deducted at source. I did some preliminary research about this and think that I am covered by my ex husbands NI contributions up until a certain point, perhaps dependent on the age of my children, who are now 23 and 20. The 20 year old is in her 2nd year of a 4 year MA course and will graduate in 2019.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I see that you have been indulging in tax avoidance, however the NI Threshold is well below the Income Tax (IT) one so you may well have been unwittingly paying these contributions. Have the relevant office in Newcastle been sending you letters warning you of a lack of contributions? If not then it is highly likely that my surmise that when you were on the company payroll you may well have been contributing. I would advise you to check by getting a state pension forecast at or by telephoning 0845 3000 168

The position for ladies in your position is exceedingly complex and I should advise you to read this web site very carefully as it throws much light on your situation:

I do hope that I have been able to point you in the right direction for more comprehensive guidance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.