How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been working overseas full time since October 2009

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have been working overseas full time since October 2009 and am thinking of returning to the UK to work. Will I be liable for income tax on my overseas earnings in the current tax year?


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

No - the tax year in which you return to the UK will be treated as a split year - so all income earned abroad up until the date you return will remin free of UK tax under the non residency ruling, and only income earned after you return back to the UK will be considered under UK tax jurisdiction.

Do let me know if I can assist further



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for such a quick answer. That is a weight off my mind. Have a nice day.Terry

HI terry

You too - and if you need any further assistance then please do come back to Just Answer.

In the meantime if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you