How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I work in the film and TV industry. and I am registered as

Customer Question

I work in the film and TV industry . and I am registered as schedule D for tax purposes only. I am contracted for each individual days work I do and I am classed as an employee for each day I work. The companies stop my holiday pay, but I pay my own tax on my earnings. I earn over £70k a year and have been for the last 15 years. Should I be VAT registered or because of the above details, can I be exempt, which I would prefer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The VAT Turnover Threshold is currently 83K in any one year. You would appear to be below this limit so you need not worry about VAT registration. As far as I can see your supplies could never be classed as exampt, but until you breach the turnover threshold you have nothing to worry about.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.