How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4957
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I gave up my job 2 years ago to become a full time carer due

Customer Question

I gave up my job 2 years ago to become a full time carer due to my husband's accident. I now only receive a carers allowance as income (although I do have savings). My personal income is below £12,000 p.a.
The company I used to work for (based in the USA) was recently sold and I received a USD payment as I still had shares in the company. I have now converted this into GBP at GBP75,000.
I 'bought' the shares approx. 3 years ago but actually did not pay anything as I was an executive of the company. So it was deducted from my salary but then was reimbursed (if this makes sense?) I could did out that payslip if that helps?
I want to ensure that I set aside money for tax that I know will become due. However, I am not sure how this will be calculated?
Thank you???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This would not be an HMRC approved share scheme. Here is the guidance from Saffery Champness Chartered Accountants:

'There is no income tax or National Insurance charge on the grant of an unapproved option. Income tax is, however, chargeable on the gain realised by the individual on the exercise of the option. If the shares are unquoted and the company is not an unquoted subsidiary of an unquoted parent, then there is generally no National Insurance on exercise and the income tax is payable via self-assessment as opposed to PAYE.'

Thus you are liable to Income Tax at your marginal rate of tax on the gain made between the acquisition price of these shares and their selling price. You will have to declare this on the appropriate annual self assessment tax return at the end of the relevant tax year.

By the way, in your position, are you claiming Tax Credits? It is possible that you are entitled to these. A trip to your local Citizens Advice Bureau might well bear fruit. They are very well up to speed in such matters.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.