How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17161
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a US Citizen who was on a working visa to the UK for

Customer Question

Hello - I am a US Citizen who was on a working visa to the UK for several years. I moved back to the US and am working as an independent contractor. I am in the UK now working on a project under my contracting business. Can I arrange payment into my UK bank account? Or do I have to have it sent to my US bank account because that is where my business is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

You can have it sent to your UK bank. This does not change the fact that it is still reported on your US return as business income. It is not where the money is held (do not forget about your potential FATCA reporting about that UK account ) but how you earned it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - but is that legal since I am not on a work visa - only a tourist visa?
Is there any reporting to the UK government that could flag a Border Agency investigation?
It's only 5K GBP.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

A non UK person can have a UK bank account. There is no legal restriction stopping banks accepting customers with foreign addresses.