How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4797
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I Started working for a US Start up from the UK in May 2014.

Customer Question

I Started working for a US Start up from the UK in May 2014. I was granted 13000 stock options at this time. on January 1st 2016 I moved to the US on a US contract and L1 Visa. On November 4th I left the company and moved back to the UK on that day. From 30th November I can exercise those options (currently in blackout). What do I need to do to ensure I am following correct procedures with regards ***** ***** The options are held on a morgan stanley account.
Many thanks,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This will not be an HMRC approved scheme so you will be subject to Income tax (IT), not Capital Gains Tax (CGT), on any gain made between the disposal price and the vesting price. This will be at your marginal tax rate. It is common for such grants to be sold on day of vesting thus precluding any capital gain.

I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.