How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7512
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have worked mainly in the USA as a touring musician since

Customer Question

I have worked mainly in the USA as a touring musician since 2011 and filed for taxes there for 2012/13. I tried to file for the following year but was told that because some income is UK only, I need to file for 2011 to 2015 UK. Please advise my best course of action to complete my UK returns for those years. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

First question; where do you actually reside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a U.K. Resident but work mainly in the U.K.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

well HMRC will not be terribly happy! If you live in the UK for more than 183 days in any one tax year you are liable for UK taxation on your world wide income. Any US taxes will, under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the US, be allowed as a tax credit against the UK liability on the same income stream.

What you must now do is to get in touch with your local HMRC office, you can find that in the Phone Book or on line, and arrange for the relevant forms to be issued to you. On completion and return that Department will tell you how much tax and National Insurance is owing and how and when to pay.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.