How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 18026
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Having perched a UK property in 1997, and now living abroad

This answer was rated:

Having perched a UK property in 1997, and now living abroad for 12 years.
Purchased price £150,000.
Estimated selling price £300,000.
Could you please inform me as to the percentage capital gains tax payable .

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

If you are non resident for tax purposes then you need to look at the fair market value form 2015. The gai from then forword to sale is the amount that is subject to tax.

Non-resident individuals are subject to CGT at the same rate as UK individuals i.e. 18% or 28% depending on the level of taxable UK income. You are entitled to an annual exempt amount (£11,100 ) in the same way as UK residents. Main residence relief may be available if you have lived in the property as your main residence at some point during the period of ownership.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you