How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5168
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

UK Tax] - I will earn £40,000 this year from a job. From

This answer was rated:

UK Tax] - I will earn £40,000 this year from a job. From self-assessment/self-employed stuff I do, my losses will be £5,000.Can I deducted £5,000 from my tax bill or will £5,000 be deducted from the £40,000 so it's classed as me having earned £35,000. Therefore meaning I only pay tax on £35k and not 40k?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You may offset your self employed losses for the year against your employment income or carry them forward, whichever you prefer.

If you do offset then your income for the year will be 35K less your personal allowance of 11K will leave you with 24K, taxable at 20%.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That's just what I needed to know.

Thank you for your support.