How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a self employed UK citizen working abroad full-time

Customer Question

I am a self employed UK citizen working abroad full-time providing technical services and am classified as non-resident for UK income tax.
An EU client has said I must show a VAT number on my invoices.
If I register for VAT in the UK can I still be classified as non-resident on the basis of working abroad full-time or will I become a company and taxed on my world-wide income?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You should tell your EU customer that you are not registered for VAT in the UK and therefore do not have a VAT Number. Remember that some EU countries do not have any VAT Threshold eg Germany where if you do one phennig's worth of business you must register for their equivalent of VAT. HMRC may allow a registration, but probably not as you are non resident. If they do it will not open the door to UK taxation on the company's world wide income. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.