How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7548
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I bought a second flat in August 1998 to rent out at the

Customer Question

I bought a second flat in August 1998 to rent out at the cost of £125000/00. It has been rented out since till 2007 and then I converted the flat into two units at the cost of approximately £100000/00. Both units have been rented out till now. Now I wish to refurbish one flat and move in as my main residence for at least one year and then hope to sell it. Can you please tell me what Amount of capital gain tax I am liable for. Or will it be more tax efficient if I short let it as holiday home for the year and then sell it.
Your advice will be much appreciated.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Can you please give me an indication of the net selling price you will receive so I can give you a ball park figure of your possible Capital Gains Tax (CGT) liability.