How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17184
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am an Indian citizen. I currently reside in the UK. I had

Customer Question

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I currently reside in the UK. I had a 401k (US employer pension) when I worked in the US. My 401k is pretax and is about $120,000. I want to withdraw my 401k and bring it into the UK for investing in our house. I want to avoid double taxation but also want to understand what options I have and the best option (least tax) to bring the money to UK?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

The US will tax the distribution because you were never taxed on it when the contributions were made and the tax treaty gives the US the authority to tax.
"2. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1 of this Article, a lump-sum payment derived from a pension scheme established in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State."

The UK would not tax you on the lump sum distribution.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.