How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

If I have purchased a property 11 years ago and built a new

Customer Question

If I have purchased a property 11 years ago and built a new house attached to it over the same period of time what kind of tax will the project attract if sell one property this year and one next year
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.


You would attract capital gain on the new build when sold and would be considered for capital gains on the existing property - but had the existing property been your main residence throughout ownership then any gain would be exempt under the private residence relief rules so just a gain on the hosue built -

Let me know if I can assist further