How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4791
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My Mum is 92 years old and wants to give some of her money

Customer Question

My Mum is 92 years old and wants to give some of her money to me, my children and grandchildren. Can she give us £250 each per month without any tax implications?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Unfortunately no, such gifts are limited to GBP 3K in any one tax year. Each tax year, you can also give away wedding or civil ceremony gifts of up to £1,000 per person (£2,500 for a grandchild or great-grandchild, £5,000 for a child) [source Gov UK WEb Site].

Otherwise gifts create a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in the Inheritance Tax (IHT) affairs of the donor. PETs run off atr a taper over 7 yers and in the event of the donor's decease within that period are added back to their estate for the IHT computation. PETs are the first to suffer IHT (which kicks in at 325K and is at a 40% flat rate) and if the estate is insufficient to meet the IHT on the PET then the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.