bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hmrc is asking for information on previous year's tax

Hmrc is asking for information on previous year's tax returns, but it is unlikely that the corporation tax will need to be amended. It is only detail. I retired 2 years ago, and all records have been passed to new accountants, and detail has been requested from new accountants. I am also physically unable to attend old client's offices. Whose responsibility is it to reply to hmrc with detail. New accountants have already supplied some schedules ( of which i do not have copies) , but old client thinks that i shouod respond ( without charge) not the current appointed firm. Any comments would be appreciated. Chris ************

Hello Chris, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What do HMRC actually want? I would suggest that it is the responsibility of your professional advisers not you. Are you a director of this company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not director. I was previous accountant, now retired.and hmrc have raised queries with new accts. I sent them all working papers and they have already dealt with some queries( I do not know what they were) but hmrc needs more info. I have sent this to company at company's request. I can answer most queries, but who should contact hmrc? Current accts, company's acct, or myself.

I would suggest that under the circumstances that as you have retired and properly handed over to a new firm that dealing with this matter is now the responsibility of the new accountant or the directors themselves. You appear to have behaved most properly and given every assistance within your power.

I would suggest that you keep well out of this matter, it is not your responsibility.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you or your support.