bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I was asked to join the board of a charity in the UK. When I

I was asked to join the board of a charity in the UK. When I checked their financial reports in the charity commission web site, I read this statement from the accountant:"Independent examiner's statement
In connection with my examination, no matter has come to my attention:
(I) which gives me reasonable cause to believe that, in any material respect, the requirements to keep accounting records in accordance with Section 386 and 387 of the Companies Act 2006; and to prepare accounts which accord with the accounting records, comply with the accounting requirements of Sections 394 and 395 of the Companies Act 2006 and with the methods and principles of the Statement of Recommended Practice: Accounting and Reporting by Charitieshave not been met; or(2) to which, in my opinion, attention should be drawn in order to enable a proper understanding of the accounts to be
reached"The requirements of the Company Act and the reporting guidelines of the Charity Commission have not been met and yet "no matter has come to my attention". What does that mean? I'm attaching a file with their latest statement.Thanks

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As you are probably aware a large charity, although it does not have to comply with the Companies Acts, its accounts have to conform to the principles therein.

I agree that the standard wording of the auditor's statement is a convoluted expression that the accounts represent a true and fair view of the activities of the charity and comply with the various governing principles. What is actually being expressed is two fold:

Firstly they reflect a true and fair view;

and secondly they comply with the relevant statutory requirements:

No more and no less.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** straightforward, then. The problem is that I was made aware that there are £8,000 missing, meaning, the equivalent of £8,000 receipts went lost. This is not reflected in the auditor's statement. Is that a regular practice?

I sincerely ***** ***** but was the cash mislaid before or after the end of the relevant account period. Were it the former it should have been mentioned and if after and before publication of the report and accounts it should have been included as a post balance sheet event. Otherwise it comes into the next account period for audit consideration.

Are you quite sure that you wish to be associated with this charity?

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** last question just to be sure I understand. The auditor/accountant was aware of this money missing before the end of the relevant account period. Was it his job to report it as a post-balance sheet event of the charity's Treasurer? Thanks and I'll rate you surely

In my opinion it was his duty to draw attention to the position for both the Trustees and the supporters of the Charity information. Were I the Auditor I would most certainly have commented. You don't loose 8K in the bottom of your trouser pockets. Having said that when I handled large quantities of cash I always put it in coat and trouser pockets and nonchalantly held a bank bag which held the coin!, but I was never jumped!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JAJAJA! Thank you, Keith! Have a nice afternoon

Thank you for your support.

Evening, actually, I am answering you from a location 6 hours ahead of BST!