How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Some years ago I agreed to help a relative with a Buy To

This answer was rated:

Some years ago I agreed to help a relative with a Buy To Let. The relation was unable to obtain a mortgage by themselves, so I agreed to lend my name to it. I am the first name on the mortgage. I have put no money into this venture nor received any income from it. In the event of said relation not registering with HMRC, and paying no tax on the proceeds, can HRMC claim any taxes owing from me?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I cannot see how HMRC have any claim on your activities. The fact that your relative has not registered with HMRC to declare his rental income is no concern of yours.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.