How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5170
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Have been French tax payer and now want to be. UK tax

This answer was rated:

Have been French tax payer and now want to be. UK tax resident. How do I go about it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have UK passport, driving licence and property. Pay council taxes etc etc. Also still have French property.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.UK taxat

Firstly, I cannot help with French taxation at all. It is sos complex and so constantly changing that the use of a local practitioner is essential. If you are renting out French property this will still be taxed under \french rules and you will have to rely on the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and France for protection.

Now how to go about UK taxation. I assume that you have moved to the UK. What are the sources of your income in general terns, please.

I am about to go out so there will be a delay in resonse, I hope you don't mind.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
State pension, private pension.

The State pension is taxable, but paid gross. To collect the unpaid tax the tax code on your private pension should be reduced accordingly. Insurance companies do not like applying PAYE to pensions. I have personally dragged two household name companies screaming and kicking into compliance. If you do this you will find everything much easier.

If you live in the UK for more than 183 days in any one tax year [6 April to following 5 April]. You should report your presence to HMRC by means of a Form P46 which your employer, if you have one will provide, and your pension provider just might. Otherwise you will have to obtain one from your local tax office which they can probably complete on the spot for you. The completed form goes to your pension provider.

When all the vhips are down, should your income be below the personal allowance level, currently 11.5K, HMRC may well tell you not to bother with future returns.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think it covers everything. Don't really understand this part about the private pension. How can I claim unpaid tax if I am a UK resident/tax payer? Surely like the state pension, I will be due to pay tax full stop.

Right; you get your private pension provider to tax this under PAYE. You will be allocated a code number by HMRC less than your personal allowance to recover the tax due on your State Pension, paid gross, but subject to tax. You will then be faced with declaring your French income and claiming the tax credit under the Convention for any tax deducted .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My French income is miniscule and non taxable. Do I gain anything with all this action? Would it be a catastrophe if I just left it and got taxed? Are the benefits so good?

In that case the whole of your French income would be exposed to UK taxation. Failure to declare it could get you into a spot of bother to say the least.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bonne continuation!

Delighted to have been of assistance.