How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5084
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife is a Japanese national living in the U, she has

This answer was rated:

My wife is a Japanese national living in the U, she has "permanent right to stay", her father died in Tokyo and has left her a cash inheritance. If she transfers the inheritance to the UK does she have to pay UK tax?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As her father was a Japanese resident he had no exposure to UK Inheritance Tax (IHT). Assuming that all Japanese taxes are settled your wife receives the inheritance UK tax free. Just warn her bank of incoming funds and their source to preclude any money laundering inquiries a large transfer might otherwise attract.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.