How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5089
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have client who runs a company making and developing

This answer was rated:

I have client who runs a company making and developing online courses.
They want to use a large garden or hotel grounds to do photo shoots.
I assume that any rentals involved would be a legitimate cost of the company for tax purposes.
However they have a very large garden at home and may propose to have some landscaping done so that they could use the garden for a photo shoot.
Can they legitimately have the company pay for this work and or can they charge the company for use of the garden for the photoshoot.
What is the best way of doing this?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, the rentals would be allowable against Corporation Tax (CT). It would also seem appropriate for their garden to be remodeled and used as a background, particularly if the overall cost to the company is less than the current arrangements. Not charging the company for use of the garden as opposed to letting it undertake the enhancements will preclude any necessity to register for self employment to account for fees charged. It is a quick and simple solution to stop the treacle running off the spoon, so to speak.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.