How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I've got to complete the final tax return for a deceased

This answer was rated:

I've got to complete the final tax return for a deceased person and as part of his probate he had three life policies where there are chargeable gains certificates to declare. What part of those chargeable gains would be part of that final tax return and what sort of percentage would I have to pay on them?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your qyestion.

You personally do not pay any tax on the chargeable event, the deceased's estate might have a liability. However, that would only occur if the aggregated assets on decease exceeded 325K. If the estate is inadequate to meet any Inheritance Tax (IHT) due then it is the Chancellor who dips out!

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your response. As the Executor I certainly do have IHT to pay as the estate is just over £1M. I was asking does the Estate have tax to pay (rather than I) as far as the final Tax return is concerned (which is due from April 2016 through to date of death (in February 2017). Each chargeable gain is around £30k apiece. Kind regards, Alan.

Yes, the estate does have to pay. You incur no personal liability.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to declare the Chargeable Gains as part of his final tax return and pay 20% tax on each of those sums (if they take his income over his personal allowance). Is that what you are saying? Then I deduct that tax repayment off of his IHT account?

Yes the chargeable gains will have to be declared and tax levied at the deceased marginal rate of taxation. Then his assets will have to be aggregated for IHT. This is one of those situations where a sum of money can be taxed twice. The IT cannot be deducted from the IHT bill.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ah okay. My first thought (because I'm ready to complete and submit my IHT return, was to estimate the IT return amount to be made. But then I thought it might be a larger amount than usual due to the Chargeable gains so I thought it would be better to complete that first. But if you are saying I can't deduct it from the IHT account anyway then I don't think I'll bother delaying and just submit it now. Does that sound okay?

It does indeed.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.