How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17645
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My husband and I live in the UAE, I don't work but return

This answer was rated:

Hi my husband and I live in the UAE , I don't work but return home to our UK home to see family a few times a year , is there a limit on days I can stay.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You are not limited as long as you do not have a residence in the UK. You do not work and would not have a tax responsibility.

You are likely to be treated as not resident in the UK for Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax purposes in the tax year if:

 you did not spend more than 45 days in the UK and were not resident in the UK in any of the three previous tax years

 you did not spend more than 15 days in the UK and were resident in the UK in one or more of the three previous tax years

 you are working full-time overseas o you spend fewer than 91 days in the UK o you do not work in the UK for three hours or more on more than 30 days

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou , sorry I bit confusing , I have never worked in Uae or in uk but am thinking of spending around 8 weeks here in January I right in saying if my husband is only in the UK for 21 days a year , but I am here more often he still does need to pay tax .

That is correct. If you were to have a residence yourself in the UK then your husband could be seen as having a residence there too. That could jeopardize his status as non resident. If you are just visiting then no problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we have a home that we have just bought together in uk and as we have three children here and family I would like to come back more often would it be a problem for my husband.sorry for all the questions.

As he works abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spend fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working then he could still be a non resident.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he does he would only spend max 21days in a tax year in U.K. So it's ok then for me to come back ? Thankyou will leave you in peace now !

For your longer visits yes.

You are most welcome

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you