How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4778
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I work for a company but my contractual work location is my

This answer was rated:

I work for a company but my contractual work location is my home. I am currently working on a project which requires me to work from the office of one of our clients, which results in me having to stay away from home for several nights per week.
Previously, I have stayed in hotels and have been able to claim up to £25 per night overnight subsistence. My company has decided, however, to rent a house within commuting distance of our client which I am now required to share with a number of colleagues. I am no longer able to stay at hotels, and cannot claim overnight subsistence as my employer has said I am not able to prepare food for myself.
I don't know if it is relevant, but I can confirm that I have my own bedroom at the house, access to a bathroom, cooking, and refrigeration facilities etc.
I am concerned that this situation could incur a tax liability for me, which would not have arisen had I been staying at hotels. Please could you advise.
The project is scheduled to last 18 months, and I will be expected to stay overnight each week for between 2 and 4 nights per week.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Providing this temporary duty does not exceed 24 months then no tax liability will attach to you under the current arrangements.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could I ask a quick follow up. My employer has withdrawn my ability to claim overnight subsistence on the basis that I can now prepare my own food. I understand that is a policy decision which you cannot advice on. However, if they were to continue to provide subsistence for meals, would any tax liability arise?

No, providing they adhere in general to HMRC limits and the 24 month rule I mentioned earlier.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Another question sorry. I often have to buy lunch when working away, but am unable to claim this back under our company's expenses policy. Am I able to claim any reduction in tax for this? Is so, how do I do this as I pay tax via PAYE

When you make your annual self assessment tax return include these costs as expenses in employment.