How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4799
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have inherited from my father a sum of money sent to me

This answer was rated:

I have inherited from my father a sum of money sent to me from the lawyer handling his estate.
I am non resident in UK and pay my taxes in Sweden.
The money was held in trust, until the accupant died earlier this year, since my father died 1976.
Can you advise if I have to pay CGT on my share,which has already been transferred to my Bank in Sweden
Can you advise please

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Was your father resident in the UK?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not want to pay more so please E mail me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you agree please
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My e mail is***@******.***

Legacies from deceased persons in the UK are paid out by executors or administrators after Inheritance Tax (IHT), if any, has been agreed and settled with HMRC. The legatee receives this money tax free. The same would apply to any trustee distribution, any applicable CGT on the trust would alredy have been settled.

Sweden ended inheritance taxes in 2005. Unlike the UK the yield was minimal which prompted its abolition.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many thanks.Does this mean I do not have to pay CGT?

Correct, as far as the UK is concerned you have made no capital gains.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.