How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My husband and I bought a house for our daughter and son in

This answer was rated:

My husband and I bought a house for our daughter and son in law to live in, and I own the property outright. We now are in the process of selling it and using the proceeds to buy another property in our daughter and son in laws name. Would we have to pay capital gains on the sale of the first house, as it is for our daughter?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Do you own the house in which you and your husband reside or do you rent?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We own our house, and the house that my daughter lives in currently. By default on the solicitors side, the house my daughter lives in was only registered in my name when we purschased it.

I am sorry to have to tell you that you will have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the gain made on house you are selling. You have an Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.3K to offset this gain. It will be taxed at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of disposal.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade. Had you originally put it in their names then this taxation would have been avoided. You could have protected your position by putting a charge of the premises.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We realise that now, And will learn for our other daughter! My husband seems to think there might be something about being in assumed trust, as she is our daughter, that doesn’t make us liable?

No, but it would have made the trust liable, the AEA would be reduced so that makes the answer the accounting equivalent of a lemon.

I had, some time ago, a case where parents had bought their son a house to live in at Uni and he stayed there for years thereafter. The eventual tax bill on sale for the parents was 35K, ouch!

With my first wife we both wanted a daughter and got one first time so stuck at one offspring. She now is a Doctor of Engineering and works for the New Zealand Government. Both my ex and I wonder how we ever produced such a prodigy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.