How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17189
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

We recently moved back to the UK from Germany. Until he

Customer Question

Hi,We recently moved back to the UK from Germany. Until he finds a new job here, my husband continues to work in Germany as a self-employed IT contractor.We no longer have a home in Germany, and he stays in a hotel for two or three nights a week while he is there.Please could you tell us where he should be paying tax now? What are the rules about earning in Germany and living in the UK?Thanks for your help.Jane Chappel
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.
  • You live in Germany for more than 6 consecutive months - You are considered ‘ordinarily resident' in Germany and, as such, are subject to unlimited tax liability and must pay tax on your worldwide income there.
  • You live in Germany for no more than 6 months - You are not considered tax resident, and pay tax only on income earned in Germany (limited tax liability).

If he receives income from German sources as a non-resident , he must file an annual tax return covering this income, unless it was subject to withholding tax. You can usually claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief when you report your overseas income in your UK tax return.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.