How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Help on de-registering for vat

Customer Question

help on de-registering for vat
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It is pretty simple, you just tell your VAT office and ask to de-register for VAT. You do it on line, the procedure is here in VAT Notice 700/11:

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, the company ceased trading in 2014, my accountant (who has now passed) put my vat onto "holiday break" then was supposed to de-register. ive heard nothing since until i got a letter stating that i havnt filed for 1/6/17 - 31/9/17 and that i should pay £230???ive tried to de-register online but i dont have the info they ask for i.e last payment made, last month paid etc etc
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

You will have to make your peace with the Vatman. Write and explain what has happened. What happened to your accountant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she has passed away, so im a little clueless as what to do
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Write a letter to the VAT Office explaining the situation and telling them about your accountant's unfortunate demise and ask for advice. HMRC can, of course, cancel you registration themselves which would solve all you problems. In the circumstances HMRC are likely to waive all penalties.