How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5170
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am due to retire with a redundancy payment of £163k at the

This answer was rated:

I am due to retire with a redundancy payment of £163k at the end of December. Would it be beneficial to receive the sum over two tax years with just the £30k tax free element paid this tax year?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You have the situation correct, the first 30K of redundancy payment is tax free and the balance taxed at your marginal rate of tax. 133K in one lump sum would immediately eliminate your Personal Allowance (PA) in the year of payment as it would push you over the 100K. Thus tax wise it is better to receive the settlement over two tax years to preclude this. The only danger is your ex employer going pop in between.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.