How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5059
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I would like to understand if I can offset (as tax

This answer was rated:

Hello,I would like to understand if I can offset (as tax deductions) any or all of the following finance charges associated with re-mortgaging my buy to let property against rental income:1. Product fee for the mortgage (£1,495)
2. Solicitor's fees for completing the re-mortage
3. Additional charges imposed by the lender for the re-mortage (e.g. Telegraphic transfer fee, admin fee etc.)Thanks, Peter

Hello Peter, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In my opinion these are not chargeable against rental income. They do, however, increase the acquisition value of the buy to let property for capital gains tax (CGT) purposes to reduce the gain on ultimate sale. You could always try offsetting rental income, HMRC might wear it.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support, Peter.