How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5087
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a dual Swiss-Italian national studying in the UK

This answer was rated:

I am a dual Swiss-Italian national studying in the UK (2017-2018) and I am interested in social investment with a firm/platform based in the UK (e.g. Oikocredit, Ethex). I will move to Malta upon completion of my masters in September 2018.
My question is: if I decide to invest through these firms/platforms will I be liable to pay taxes when I am a resident in the UK and/or still after moving abroad (i.e. as student I do not pay taxes today).
Thank you and best regards.

Hello Paul, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You are likely to be liable to UK Income Tax (IT) whilst you remain resident in the UK, but you are entitled to a Personal Allowance of 11.5K to offset any income. However, when you move abroad be sure to complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC. On receipt that Department will classify you non resident for the tax year following your date of departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident, the other non resident. You will no longer have a tax liability in the UK once submitting the form and you may visit the UK for up to 90 days in any one tax year without breaching your non resident status. You may well, of course, have a tax liability in Malta.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. But I don't understand what a personal allowance is? Also, if there is no interest on the investment (many social investments do not have one), I suppose I will not be liable to any income tax, right?

The Personal Allowance is what you can earn tax free in the UK as a citizen of an EEA country Paul. If there is no income there is no liability to UK Income tax.

However, please don't forget the Form P85.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your excellent support.