How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5165
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have just returned home to the UK from overseas after many

This answer was rated:

Hi - I have just returned home to the UK from overseas after many years away as an expat1. I assume I advise HMRC of my return and it will be treated as a split year?
2. I have a potential option to work for an overseas company (Chinese) in the UK as a sole person from home - is the best way to do this to register as a self employed - invoice them gross monthly and take care of my own tax and NI.Thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

You are better off registering for self assessment as a sole trader if this is the only income you are likely to earn in the remainder of this tax year.

If you don't have a UTR issued to you by HMRC in the past, then you would have to register for self assessment and you can do this online here (look at If you haven't sent a return before)

The current tax year would be treated as split year.

When you complete the tax return, you would also complete supplementary pages SA109 dealing with residence status.

More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank youIt would be my only source of income so I guess I would just continue to be a sole trader going forward?

Thank you for your reply.

Registering as sole trader opens up for doing work for other clients/customers as well over time.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer.

. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.