How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I moved out of my flat in 2012 and rented it out. I

Customer Question

I moved out of my flat in 2012 and rented it out. I currently live in a caravan at a friend house. If I sell the flat will I have to pay capital gains tax on the whole amount. Also if I do sell and immediately purchase another property for me to live in again will this make a difference
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Before I can address your question I have to know how long you owned the flat? Moving into another residence will not affect the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) position.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I purchased the flat in 2001
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

You are liable for CGT on a proportion of the gain made on disposal. Total ownership time is 192 months. Total letting time is say 60 months less the last 18 months of ownership when you are deemed to be in residence even if this is not the case, so 42 months. 42 / 192 = say 22% is the proportion of the gain subject to CGT. Now deduct your non cumulative Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.3K and Lettings Relief of 40K will give you the amount exposed to the tax which will be levied at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of disposal.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance,