How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14215
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been reading answers about the P85 and just wanted to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have been reading answers about the P85 and just wanted to clarify my own situation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been living in Dubai for 1.5 years, before that 9 years in the UK (I am a Polish citizen). When I left the UK I didn't fill in the P85. It has been brought to my attention, that there might be consequences. I am still eligible to pay UK income tax? Also I am planning to get back to the UK this year. Is there an issue with this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should also add I have no other income in the UK (ie. rental property).
Do I need to submit the Self Assessment ?

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


Thanks for your patience

Its not essential that you completed from P85 as you are a not a UK citizen, it just would have helped HMRC to determine your last tax year in the UK and also consider your position since then

So did you come back to the UK for any visits during this 1.5 year period? If so when and how long for ?

You say you left 1.5 years ago - so may be due a tax refund if you had suffered tax or should have completed self assessment if you had been self employed - perhaps you could advise when you left the UK and what your work status was.



And also advsie what your work status will be when you return this year and when you plan to return

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Sam.
I did come back to the UK twice but only for a week (or 10 days) each time.
I do realise that I can be due a tax refund, I didn't apply for it at the time because my plan was to get back to the UK and carry on working in the UK. I have been in Dubai longer than planned but I am now planning to go back in August (December at the very latest). I am planning to find a job straight away upon my return to the UK. What would you advise me to do? Is there a point for me to contact HMRC now? Thank you


It would make sense to contact them now so you do not forget to claim the refund, and because of that do complete form P85 - link here for this form and send it to them with your P45 and they can process the refund on the basis that you left the UK for the reminder of that tax year

Link here for P85

Then when you do come back to the UK then as soon as you resume employment or if its self employment then HMRC know to tax you only from the date you arrive into the UK and on UK income

What you earned in Dubai stays free of Uk tax as you spent more than a full tax year out of the UK and visits were less than 90 days for each full tax year, and none were for work purposes

Let me know if I can assist further, or, if you have all that you need, then it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided, or click accept



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you