How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5067
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Having been in an 8 year relationship with a wealthy partner

This answer was rated:

Having been in an 8 year relationship with a wealthy partner which ended a year ago,I had to find work decorating and odd jobs,I know what I earned in the tax year 2016 to 2017(estimate £ 11,500) but have no receipts or invoices for this year. Having not worked very much in those 8 years this is my first self employed tax return,will HMRC queries my lack of additional paperwork and if so what can I do?
Your reply will be much appreciated.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Are you trying to complete a 16/17 tax return?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's right,16/17 tax return,im a bit lost.....

Just declare your 11.5K, but do not forget to tick the box saying that it is an estimate. I cannot see this being a major matter for HMRC to investigate. There will be minimal tax liability as your income is close to the Personal Allowance of 11K. Just try to make sure that your estimate is accurate.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks and happy new year to you!

Delighted to have been of assistance. Do try to see if you can make your income for the year more accurately assessed.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.