bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I was a shareholder in my company having purchased shares 5

Hi, I was a shareholder in my company having purchased shares 5 years ago for approx £1200. The company has now sold however my shares were deemed to have no value. Can I report this on my tax return as a loss and if so what benefit would I get from doing so? Also if possible how would I show this on my return?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This loss can be declared on your self assessment tax return and can be used to offset capital gains elsewhere or carried forward against future gains indefinitely. You don’t have to report losses straight away, you can claim up to 4 years after the end of the tax year that you disposed of the asset.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.