How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5067
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was a shareholder in my company having purchased shares 5

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was a shareholder in my company having purchased shares 5 years ago for approx £1200. The company has now sold however my shares were deemed to have no value. Can I report this on my tax return as a loss and if so what benefit would I get from doing so? Also if possible how would I show this on my return?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This loss can be declared on your self assessment tax return and can be used to offset capital gains elsewhere or carried forward against future gains indefinitely. You don’t have to report losses straight away, you can claim up to 4 years after the end of the tax year that you disposed of the asset.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.