How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17828
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Just want to ask about my tax return. I did my tax return

This answer was rated:

Hi there, just want to ask about my tax return. I did my tax return for year 2016/2017 wrong (wring calculation) then I amended and put zero in that as I thought it would be better if my husband will do it on himself. Then I realized that it's a bad idea so I finally hired an accountant and she amended my tax return totally right now. I asked here if HMRC can do anything to me and she said that not. Is that correct or is there anything I should be worried?
Many thanks Miroslava
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have small online business and my turnover was 26000£

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

There is a ‘behaviour based’ system of penalties for inaccuracies on tax returns.

These range from 0% to 100% of the tax underpaid (or refund over claimed).

0% applies where a taxpayer has taken reasonable care, but later discovers an error and discloses this to HMRC.

100% penalties can apply when a taxpayer deliberately makes a false return, conceals the fact and only accepts the position following a challenge by HMRC.

You have corrected your return so I see no need for additional worries.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even if I made mistake twice? I read so many articles on website so maybe I'm so confused. So they will not consider it as tax evasion or something. Sorry if this sound silly.

It's not silly.

Even if done incorrectly twice.

HMRC did not have to advise you about the mistake, you stepped up and corrected it yourself (with professional help).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You are so helpful thank you. So even that I put zero on than and then 26000 £ is still alright?

You are most welcome.

You corrected the declaration of zero and corrected to show the 26000, That is what is important.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for all your help

You are most welcome.